• question-icon

What causes back pain when diagnosed with kidney infection?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My granddaughter is 18 years old. She was in emergency yesterday as she had terrible back pain. Diagnosis was kidney infection. she was given antibiotics and pain medication and sent home. She has been very nauseous and continues to have back pain. She is now very cold and shaking uncontrollably. She has a fever yet her hands and feet are very cold.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly she has Renal Colic with secondary UTI likely to be due to stone .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Severe back ache associated with fever and chills strongly suggest UTI secondary to presence of stone in either Kidney or Ureter and needs to get investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis .

In the mean while start taking antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin and Nitrofurantoin along with pain reliever like Diclofenac and Cyclopam twice daily .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist