What causes back pain that radiates to chest and shoulders?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I am having constant upper back pain with burning that radiates into my chest wall when I roll my shoulders forward. the pain is also intensified when I bend my head forward.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suspected pinched nerve in the neck.

Detailed Answer:

Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

I appreciate your concern for the radiating burning type of pain which gets intensified upon bending the head forward.

Can you please provide the following details like:

1. For how long you have been suffering from this pain?
2. Do you get tingling, numbness or any loss of sensation?
3. Do you take part in any sport, what is your occupation, and do you take alcohol or smoke cigarettes?
4. Any medical illness like diabetes, etc.

Looking forward to receive the requested information at your earliest.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
I have been experiencing the pain for a little over 3 weeks and have had tingling in my left hand.

I don't engage in any rigorous activities currently. I work as a director of public relations so much of my time is spent in my office with no heavy physical exertion. I do not smoke but I do occasionally drink alcohol.

I have CML, currently in remission, and I also have CHF from chemotherapy treatment.

The pain also seems to radiate from the between the shoulder blades up and down the center of my spine.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Features are highly suggestive of a pinched nerve in the neck:

Detailed Answer:
Hi!
Welcome back.
Thanks for your kind information.

The symptoms described in your case are highly suggestive of inflammation or dysfunction of a nerve root of the cervical spine (neck vertebra) due to compression or narrowing of the openings in the neck vertebrae.

I would recommend you to get examined by a neurologist for proper evaluation and may be you need some tests like X rays of the neck vertebrae, MRI scan, etc to find out the cause of nerve compression.

Meanwhile the following treatment may be beneficial to you:

1. Oral NSAID pain killers like Ibuprofen,
2. Avoid positions or movements that increase the pain - a cervical (neck) collar
can be used for comfort and support.
3. Avoid sleeping on soft mattress, a cervical pillow at night can be helpful in maintaining the neck in a neutral position and limiting head positions that cause pain

Hope the suggestions could be of benefit.

If you want more clarifications, please send your query.

Wishing you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali