• question-icon

    What causes back pain, tender spot on spine and warm sensation in forehead?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I'm really worried. I had sexual contact with a new partner, we had protected sex but the condom did slip off and got stuck. He did not finish having an orgasm when the condom had slipped off. He had to pull the condom out of my vagina and once that happened, we stopped our sexual encounter, but literally 12 hours later I had back pain. I also have felt warm to the touch on my forehead but no fever. Every time I get the pain, my forehead feels warm. I did however have a bump on my spine in the middle of my spine that hurt when I touched it. I don't remember if that bump came from bumping my back into something that night or the type of sex we had and I injured my back by pulling a muscle or something. I don't know if the pain I'm feeling is due to that or should I be worried about other illnesses? I'ts been a week and I still have the pain. I have gotten muscle relaxers which help for the moment but does not take away the pain. I'm panicking, please help!!
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You most likely just hurt your back and back pain is not a symptom of STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

I am sorry that you are so anxious about the symptoms of your condition, but I hope I can provide you with some reassurance.

The fact that you actually hurt when you touched your back in a particular spot, and that the pain is in the same area, makes another diagnosis extremely unlikely. The fact that you feel warm to touch when you have the pain can just be due to your body's stress response, especially if you do not have a true fever (greater than 100.4)

Bladder infections can cause lower back pain over your kidney area, but you usually will also have urinary frequency and pain. Most STDs take more time to exhibit symptoms and also would not have caused pain within 12 hours.

So if your muscle relaxants are not helping much you may want to try an anti-inflammatory pain reliever, like ibuprofen. Ibuprofen can be taken at a higher dosage than the two tablets that are the usual recommended dose (400 mg). You can take up to four tablets (800 mg) up to every 8 hours. A hot water bottle on your back can also help soothe tight muscles.

If you develop any abnormal vaginal discharge or bleeding, or any sites around the vagina or labia, you should see a GYN for evaluation. Otherwise you may want to follow up with a primary physician if your back pain does not improve soon.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that my advice was helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 26 hours later

Thank you so much for your response, it has helped tremendously. I still continue to feel pain in the middle of my back but now it has moved upward towards my upper back and shoulders as well. I do also notice when I get pain, I get chills and get very cold. I haven't had any vaginal discharge or discomfort in that area. I do however, get throbbing pain here and there on my legs. Could the back pain and throbbing sensations be connected? Also, how long should the back pain last before I seek medical attention? Thank you again:))
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think you need to see a doctor about your back pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, and I am glad that i was able to provide you some reassurance. I am sorry it took a while for my reply to you.

Your symptoms are not really typical of an injury if your back pain is migrating to your upper back and down your legs. The sensation of cold is also not typical.

As I am an OBGYN I am not the most qualified doctor to diagnose your back pain, but if your symptoms are getting worse I do think you should see a medical doctor for evaluation. I can assure you though that your symptoms are not typical of any type of STD and any association of your episode of unprotected sex and these symptoms are most likely a coincidence.

I do not think getting an evaluation is an emergency, but I think you should schedule an appointment next week with your primary physician of that is possible.

I hope this advice was helpful and that you feel better soon. I am available anytime if you need any further assistance.

Take care,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Jacqueline Brown


Practicing since :1996

Answered : 1425 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Stress

doctor1 MD

I have a friend that is veteran from the Persian Gulf War. She has been diagnosed with Hashimoto immune disorder with acute pancreatitis, her...

doctor1 MD

I am a 42 year old female with many symptoms, dark patch on my leg, back of the neck area, joint pain, extreme exhaustion, sleep problems, no sex...

doctor1 MD

Yes. I have a yeast infection (@48 it is caused from stress) first time in years, I used mixonazole tablet for day or night. Have had a reaction. (...

doctor1 MD

Hi, i m have recently started taking eglonyl due to severe stress and lack of sleep. My blood was abnormally high so my doctor also prescribed...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I want to improve my brain performance, so visited Ayurvedic doctor to take the swarna bhasma,i am little obese and having snoring...

doctor1 MD

hi i m facing sleep disturbance since last 8 years i feel too much pressure over and behing myleft ears may be it leads to stress and breaks my...

doctor1 MD

I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Jacqueline Brown
  • Q - Suggest treatment for irregular menstrual cycles post acupuncture

  • Q - What causes extreme weakness, fatigue and numbness during periods?

  • Q - Is pregnancy possible through oral sex?

  • Q - Can Femara be taken while treating infertility?

  • Q - What causes bleeding in cervix after taking Macrobid?

  • Q - How to calculate the length of menstrual cycle?

  • Q - Is there any relation between blood type and the ability to conceive?

  • Q - How safe and successful is VBAC?

  • Q - What causes burning sensation and itchiness in the vagina?

  • Q - What causes constant vaginal discharge in adult women?