What causes back pain in a person with rheumatoid arthritis?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Arthritis
Question: HI,
My mother is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for 15+ years, last year she underwent a hip replacement and thing became better. Two weeks ago she felt some pain in her lower back, later that week the pain became sever and she wasnt able to move nor stand without crying and screaming from pain. We took her to a private hospital and the doctor advised to go to an orthopedic hospital. Its been a week now and she isn't able to move - she can't lift her right leg . The hospital cannot identify the problem or pin point it. I just need your help in directing me / tipping me/ guiding me on where to ask / who to ask what can i do ?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
low backache

Detailed Answer:
Good morning

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well the backache she is experiencing looks unrelated to rheumatoid arthritis as RA does not involve the low back.

Considering low backache and unable to lift the right leg, the source of pain is probably coming from the lumbar region or slightly up at the thoracic region. I would like to ask you a few questions to help me localize it:

1. Did she experience any fall or twisted her body

2. Was she on long term steroids for rheumatoid

3. Did they get her MRI or Dexa scan done yet. If yes please attach the report.

4. Any history of weight loss or fever

5. Any problems in passing urine or stools

6. Any complaints of tingling Nd numbness in the legs

Do let me know these queries. Will try to help you out in best possible way I can

De naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist