What causes back pain during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hello Dr.

We are blesswed with TWINS on 1st July 2014.
My wife's back pain started when she was pregnent [around 5th month] and it was difficult for her to move from one side to another side while sleeping.
The pain in pregnency seems ok because of heavy weight of babies, placenta etc..
But after delivery also she is finding difficult and same kind of pain is still there.

Two babies are there so she is mostly busy in feeding them and may little less rest..
can you please advise if there may be another reason because of which she is still suffering from pain and remedy to this?

Thanks,
XXXX
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Back Pain

Detailed Answer:

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Back pain is common in pregnancy as you rightly said.

2) This happens due to stretching of ligaments and muscles.

3) These slowly recover overtime and takes about 6 months.

4) Since there are 2 babies and she has little time to rest which might make her get more back pain. It is important that she sleeps more often which will get her relief from back pain.

5) The other possibility ( rare though) is an injury to back muscles which need physiotherapy.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol