What causes back pain and vision loss?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Lupus
Question: My brother was told that he has blood inflammation marker / HLB27A (not quite sure of the letters), anyway, It took them years to find this after treating him for so many other things that were never wrong with him. His vision comes and goes, he has cronic back pain and sometimes is legs are hurting so bad that we has to rest them. Some of these symptoms last for a couple of days, even weeks. Is there a cure for this? Please, what do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
spondyloarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today.

This is a disease called as spondyloartritis, back pain and vision problem (uveitis) is related to this. You need to see a rheumatologist for this. Unfortunately there is no cure for this, but a very good treatment available.

Hope this helps and provides answers to your question.
If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to ask me again
I wish you good health, take care
--Dr. Alok

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Alokkalyani 13 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. Is this blood disorder inherited? Should I also have my blood checked for this?
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
this is not a blood disorder, this is a connective tissue disorder which is confirmed by blood test.
it runs in family, but this doesnot mean that all suffer from the disease.
until unless there is any complaints of back pain or recurrent vision loss or morning stiffness, I donot think that you need to go for this test.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj