• question-icon

What causes back pain along with fever?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, I started having mid-level back pain yesterday, and last night I had a fever of 101.3. Today I still have the back pain, and now I have stomach pain as well. My feet are also swollen this morning. Do I need to go to the ER?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should go to ER and get an Ultrasound done.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

Back pain with fever is suggestive of ongoing infection in body.Infection may be caussd by bacteria or protozoa or virus.Fever is suggestive of inflammation or infection in abdomen.Frequently, pain related to digestive or intestinal issues can radiate to the back. This can occur if you have biliary colic, a condition in which gallstones obstruct the gallbladder.Infection causing Diarrhea or loose stool can also be felt as pain in back and as the infection increases pain starts appearing in abdomen.
Intially i would recommend you to go for an ultrasound of abdomen.It will help to rule out infection or inflammation in abdominal area.Pain in some conditions like pancreatitis can also radiate to back.

A good idea would be to go to the nearest emergency room.Get an ultrasound done and follow up with report.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist