What causes back, neck, jaw and ear pain?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I have pain on the back of my neck jaw ear and sudden movements hurts bad.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need TMJ Xray and orthodontist review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems to be arising from Temporomandibular joint which is where your jaw meets the lower part of skull bones and may may radiate towards lateral jaw and lower neck as well as towards ear cannal. A Xray of the joint and examination for any difficulty of sufficient jaw opening and restriction of movement needs to be evaluated.

However sometimes dental carries or inner gum or deep tooth infection may cause the simmilar pains so dental X-ray or OPG alongwith detailed oral examination by an orthodontist should be done.

Rarely it may be due to nerve involvement due to involvement of maxillary division of trigeminal nerve. At this moment, using OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can be continued.

If pain is severe, more potent analgesics like tramadol or nerve pain suppressants like gaba pentins or carbamezapine may be needed. Alongwith symptoms control, the cause work up as we have discussed should be done.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng