Owl Image

What causes back and neck pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have pain in neck and back
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
could be postural problem .

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time and may be working on computer for long time.
Neck pain at your age can be positional and due to altered ergonomics.

When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x ray spine or if required MRI to see for any nerve compression.
Medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain; you can take them consulting your treating doctor.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- Spine extension exercises, lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg.
Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay
Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.
Neck rotation exercises, shoulder shrugging will help you.

You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Some life style modifications to prevent pain– Take break every 40 min from Work/study/computer and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and do not watch television constantly.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you find this answer helpful do not hesitate to rate this answer at end of discussion.