What causes back and hip pain with nausea and vertigo upon physical activity?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Wife, age 55, exercised water aerobics last night. Today, severe right hip pain and back spasms. As pain worsened today, vertigo (severe) has set in. Vertigo is of big concern.
Note
She also had back spasms. As pain got worse today, nausea and then vertigo set in. Originally attributed symptoms to overwork of hip /back muscles until nausea and vertigo set in. Can muscle overwork in hip/back/ abs also cause nausea followed by vertigo?
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Labrynthitis

Detailed Answer:
hi,

thanks for your question.

back and hip pain precipitated by activity does not typically cause nausea and vertigo.

nausea and vertigo are most commonly caused by a viral infection in the middle ear called labrynthitis. this is a self limiting condition that typically improves with time. Sometimes middle ear sedative drugs can be used to help control symptoms.

I hope this answers your questions

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina