What causes awful odor from nose, headaches and earache?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Jun 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a nasal problem, there is a horrible odor that is coming from my nose. I have been diagnosed with sinusitis. I do have crusting in my nose. Sometimes, headaches and earaches. I also have dry eyes and sometimes they burn. I do get pressure around my nose. I am 5'3", 205 lbs and I am 48 yrs old. What can I do to get rid of this odor and do you know of any natural remedies, such as vitamins, herbs, antioxidants, etc?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Atrophic Rhinitis to be treated.

Detailed Answer:
HI.

"Foetor'' as it is called is a social problem and needs a proper diagnosis and treatment.

This occurs secondary to a condition called ' Atrophic rhinitis''. The function of the mucosa is deranges to the point that it stops its normal functioning, looses its resistance power to fight infection. This in turn allows the bacteria to attack, causing infection, encrustation of inspissated material. The bacterial overgrowth underneath causes to form a typical bad odor so typical of this condition.
This occurs mostly in female patients.

Sinusitis is always secondary to the nasal condition and not the other way.

For the treatment :
This helps all my patients. Patience and regular follow-up of the principles is the key to success.
*First of get the CT scan of the para-nasal sinuses and nose to see the level of destruction of the underlying bones.
*Get the nasal pus for testing of - gram staining, culture and sensitivity.
*To start antibiotics according to the reports.
*Get an opinion of an ENT Surgeon and MD-Physician to rule out the medical disorders like Hansen's disease, Diabetes, Anemia- so common accompanying problem. Get treated whatever is diagnosed.
*The most important part is :::: nasal douching
You have to learn this from the Doctor or a nurse. Douching is done with soda-bicarbonate solution. This helps to remove the crusts, helps cleaning the internal airways, keep moist and hence reduce the chances of infection , which in turn will not the growth of bacteria which cause the typical smell to emanate. This is done as many times in day as possible till complete cleaning has occurred.

* There is definitely a role of Multivitamins and anti-oxidants, they help rejuvenate mucous membrane as much as possible. Iron supplements for a longer time are required. Ginseng has a great effect in increasing the vascular supply of the mucous membrane.

Please do this regularly and the results will be one of the best.

There is one Surgical therapy - This is done if the medical management fails. We close one nostrils for say a year. It is not know how it works, but has great results.

So please go ahead , follow all these principles and go smell-free.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T