What causes aversion to certain clothes in a child?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Relationship
Question: My 3.5 years son has aversion towards wearing certain kinds of clothes and also the new ones that we buy. He prefers old clothes with marks all over that are not even fit to be worn at home. He’s been wearing them even when we go out and also to school, sometimes it becomes very embarrassing for us. He hardly wears uniform to school. He says “I don’t want to wear fancy dress”. He did not participate in the school annual function dance program last month just because he had to wear full pant and shirt.

However hard we try, we fail to convince him to wear good decent clothes at least when we go out.

Likes

- Certain old T-shirts with super-hero pictures or red colored

- Certain old shorts with dirt marks all over

- Slippers

Strong Dislikes

- Fulls pants (Trousers / jeans / Track pants)

- Cottons shirts, front open with buttons

- Shoes

He’s just finished Nursery class in a small school. From XXXXXXX he’d be moving to a bigger school that has strict uniform rules. I and my family are very worried on how we could change him mind to wear all sort of clothes and not be so choosy about this.

Please guide.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Personality disorder

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
Your child is having some kind of Personality /behavioral disorder more of obsessive-compulsive personality type.His pattern of thinking, feeling,is different and relatively inflexible as he could not be persuaded by parents.
Disorder is minor.
He needs Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) that focuses on behavioral change while providing acceptance,compassion.
Please consult a child psychiatrist.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina