Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
198 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes aversion to certain clothes in a child?

Answered by
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1975

Answered : 1909 Questions

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Relationship
Question: My 3.5 years son has aversion towards wearing certain kinds of clothes and also the new ones that we buy. He prefers old clothes with marks all over that are not even fit to be worn at home. He’s been wearing them even when we go out and also to school, sometimes it becomes very embarrassing for us. He hardly wears uniform to school. He says “I don’t want to wear fancy dress”. He did not participate in the school annual function dance program last month just because he had to wear full pant and shirt.

However hard we try, we fail to convince him to wear good decent clothes at least when we go out.


- Certain old T-shirts with super-hero pictures or red colored

- Certain old shorts with dirt marks all over

- Slippers

Strong Dislikes

- Fulls pants (Trousers / jeans / Track pants)

- Cottons shirts, front open with buttons

- Shoes

He’s just finished Nursery class in a small school. From XXXXXXX he’d be moving to a bigger school that has strict uniform rules. I and my family are very worried on how we could change him mind to wear all sort of clothes and not be so choosy about this.

Please guide.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Personality disorder

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
Your child is having some kind of Personality /behavioral disorder more of obsessive-compulsive personality type.His pattern of thinking, feeling,is different and relatively inflexible as he could not be persuaded by parents.
Disorder is minor.
He needs Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) that focuses on behavioral change while providing acceptance,compassion.
Please consult a child psychiatrist.


Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Behavioral disorder

doctor1 MD

I am looking for a primary care physician who accepts medicaid and has a holistic approach. I had a very large benign tumor removed within the...

doctor1 MD

If a young adult had anesthesia for the first time and is now exhibiting delusional behavior could that be the result of the anesthesia and could...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I've been having trouble focusing in school most of my life. is there anything I can do naturally that will help me focus more in the...

doctor1 MD

how to stop my 14 year old grand daughters addiction to raw rice?

doctor1 MD

HELLO dr. my nephew is 13yrs old and he some times becomes so angry and beats his younger brother and sometimes when things not given to him he...

doctor1 MD

Sir my brother is mentally weak by birth and few days before he experience a mental problem in which he acts very violently at that time he is...