What causes avascular necrosis in a person with phenylketonuria?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Genetics
Question: My son is 27 y.o. and has pku. he had a hip injury of some sort when he was age 6, we were told at that time that he had a stress fx, He stayed off of it and it improved. He recently was told he has avascular necrosis and needs a hip replacement. He has done well, He is a college graduate and has a good job. My question is , he has not followed his pku diet very well and has not drank his formula for about 8-10 yrs. now, could that have anything to do with this diagnosis? I also have a 22 y.o. daughter with pku. could this be diet related also or do you think it has to do with his injury at a young age only?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Independent factors

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

There are two independent factors to consider. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head occurs if due to some reason (possibly his childhood injury). This has no connection with PKU where due to genetic reasons the kidneys are polycystic and hence there exists a possibility of poor functioning which may set in sooner or later.Hence the dietary restrictions which would better be followed. The avascular necrosis has nothing to do with the diet.