What causes auditory hallucinations?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I am a psychologist with 20 yrs experience in the criminal justice system with dual diagnoses expertise. I am retired and my cousins brother has asked me to help with his brothers treatment of those disease. Specifically he hears voices and has other associative symptoms identified with this disorder. He is on medication and has been hospitalized for treatment. The meds are working some, but I am trying to teach him how to combat the voices. Do yo have a manual or information that would help me to set up a repetitive program for him?Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

There is no standard way of managing auditory hallucinations aside from medication. Sometimes cognitive behavioral therapy is used to help ignore the voices, so you might explore this, but the evidence is thin. The best thing to do is encourage medication adherence and remaining in a structured program, exploring CBT options available to you if possible.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee