What causes atrial fibrillation with a history of irregular heart beats?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: can a erratic hart beat in early life cause later on in life a-feb
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that this occur when a congenital heart defect is present.

Another possibility to consider would be thyroid dysfunction, as it is one of the most common cause of cardiac arrhythmia in young patients and can lead to heart failure if not properly treated.

But, you should know that there are a lot of other causes of erratic heart rate in young patients that are not related to later atrial fibrillation.

So, it is much possible that there is no connection between this two problems.

Anyway, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and perform some tests:

- a cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function and structure
- thyroid hormone levels to exclude possible thyroid dysfunction.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
what is all things that can possible cause occasional second hart beat fibrillation or- fast type of what call in my case 200 beats a min.a-fib)
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would like to explain that some ectopic heart beats can be quite normal in healthy individuals with a normal heart structure (resulted in the cardiac ultrasound).

They can be related to physical activity, anxiety, emotional stress, chronic anemia, electrolyte imbalances, or thyroid dysfunction.

They are not harmful and do not indicate any serious underlying disorder. They usually resolve spontaneously or after treating the metabolic disorder (thyroid dysfunction, anemia or electrolyte imbalance).

Regarding atrial fibrillation it is a cardiac arrhythmia which usually occurs later in life. It is an abnormal heart rhythm, usually resulting from the dysfunction of the cardiac electrical system. It may be related to structural heart disease (dilated heart chambers, heart failure) or cardiac ischemia.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri