Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes apathy towards food, childish and verbally abusive behavior while perpetually worrying?

Answered by
Dr. Geeta Sundar

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1975

Answered : 1329 Questions

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Relationship
Question: My dad is about 70 years old. Off late he is behaving very differently at home. He's been through a lot in his life. Ours is a joint family and all his brothers isolated him in his business. He lost his business in legal issues and is currently doing nothing but sitting at home. His behaviour right from a very young age is very different. He stopped taking care of us due to issues with his brothers and property. Now everything is under control as i am taking care of him. But his behaviour with everyone changed from past few years. He has become more childish in nature. He does not have food at home and complains to everyone that we are not feeding him. This is resulting in constant rift between all of
us. His relationship with my mom is just a formality. There is no affection and care between them. They fight every moment. He gets into argument with everyone at home. Without a second thought he provokes us forcing to start a discussion and argument. He gets very abusive in course of the argument testing the patience of us. Because of this there is no mental peace at home. I am concerned about this and need your guidance if i should take him to any doctor. If i take him to a psychiatrist, our other family members will label him as mentally challenged and may add to his behaviour. What should i do to control this because this behavior of his is causing lot of depression in each family member. 
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have read your report in detail and have two suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX welcome to Health care magic, you are facing a very difficult though common problem that I face regularly.
I have read your report in detail and have two suggestions.
Give him Alprazolam 0.25mg twice a day powdered and mixed with milk/food without his knowledge.
You can also try Ashwagandha from Himalaya. It is Ayurvedic and calms a person.
Second option is to consult a Psychiatrist without taking him and follow his suggestions.
Both should help--you can try the first option first.
Please revert back. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on