What causes aortic aneurysm?

Posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was told yesterday that they think I have a
Aneurysm in my aorta valve.
The doctor has me set up for Monday fasting 8 hrs
Then the Ct scan @2 pm in afternoon.
Isn't this really serious ?
Should I go to the ER ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should go to ER in case of severe pain, abnormal heat rate or BP

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ttealady12003,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. I understand that you have severe upper back pain for which you consulted the doctor. X ray might have showed a suspected aortic aneurysm and a CT scan has been fixed for Monday afternoon.

2. An aneurysm is a sac like enlargement and in your case I suppose there is one suspected in the thoracic aorta. The aorta might be thought as the outlet tubular structure carrying blood from the heart to distribute it to all the organs in the body. The thoracic aorta refers to the part of aorta in the chest region.

3. Due to slow enlargement of the wall of aorta, it becomes saccular and balloon like. The wall of the aorta becomes thin. This might cause symptoms of pain in the upper back and might also rupture leading to blood loss. Should an aneurysm of aorta rupture then it becomes a medical emergency.

4. If the pain is not too severe and your pulse and blood pressure is normal then it is not a medical emergency and you might wait for the CT scan to be over.

5. However, if you are having severe pain with rapid or slow heart rate with sudden lowering of blood pressure then it might indicate sudden high volume blood loss from the aorta and becomes an emergency condition requiring you to consult ER doctors. The final diagnosis requires CT scan to be done an analyzed.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist