What causes aortic aneurysm?

Posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was told yesterday that they think I have a
Aneurysm in my aorta valve.
The doctor has me set up for Monday fasting 8 hrs
Then the Ct scan @2 pm in afternoon.
Isn't this really serious ?
Should I go to the ER ?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should go to ER in case of severe pain, abnormal heat rate or BP

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ttealady12003,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. I understand that you have severe upper back pain for which you consulted the doctor. X ray might have showed a suspected aortic aneurysm and a CT scan has been fixed for Monday afternoon.

2. An aneurysm is a sac like enlargement and in your case I suppose there is one suspected in the thoracic aorta. The aorta might be thought as the outlet tubular structure carrying blood from the heart to distribute it to all the organs in the body. The thoracic aorta refers to the part of aorta in the chest region.

3. Due to slow enlargement of the wall of aorta, it becomes saccular and balloon like. The wall of the aorta becomes thin. This might cause symptoms of pain in the upper back and might also rupture leading to blood loss. Should an aneurysm of aorta rupture then it becomes a medical emergency.

4. If the pain is not too severe and your pulse and blood pressure is normal then it is not a medical emergency and you might wait for the CT scan to be over.

5. However, if you are having severe pain with rapid or slow heart rate with sudden lowering of blood pressure then it might indicate sudden high volume blood loss from the aorta and becomes an emergency condition requiring you to consult ER doctors. The final diagnosis requires CT scan to be done an analyzed.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Vivek Chail


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6699 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Back pain

doctor1 MD

Hello, I was in a wreck in September. I was rear ended at about 60 mph. I m still having lots of back pain, especially after therapy. My pain...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor,I have pain when I touch my tibia and chronic back pain.I am diagnosed with vit.d deficiency.earlier it was 25 Bg Ol and now after taking...

doctor1 MD

Dr, I have been suffering from Neck pain and pain in the elbow for last 2 years. The neck pain stated about 4 years back on the right side. after...

doctor1 MD

My daughter is 17 years old and 29 weeks pregnant. her blood type (can not remember what it is) required her to get a winrho shot this afternoon....

doctor1 MD

I get a lower back pain which is excrucitating right after my cycle ends.its remians for 4-5 days. And have to take painkillers.Its very...

doctor1 MD

very small amount of brownish discharge after wiping, I finished my period just under 2 weeks ago, although I can't be precise. any reason for this?

doctor1 MD

I am 77 and take heart disease medications. I have lower back pain , am fatigued and joint pain. Suggestions?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

124 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction