• question-icon

What causes anxiety while on Phentermine?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was taking phentermine for four days I stopped this diet because of it side affects. I am experiencing intense anxiety and the last time I took it was on Sunday how long does those symptoms last I went and got all of these test done and the result came normal this truly one of the biggest mistake ever I need help

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it should clear up. If it persists--take alprazolam 0.25 at night

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Phenteramine is like amphetamine and used as appetite suppressant for reducing weight, for which I believe you took it.
It should not be used if you have blood pressure, Diabetes, thyroid disease. It should also not be taken if you are in an agitated state--that may have been the cause of your anxiety symptoms.
Do not worry, it should clear up in a couple of days. If it persists--take alprazolam 0.25 at night for a few days.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 21 minutes later
At the hospital they gave Ativan and that increased my heart rate before feeling better. My question is how long will the diet pill stay in my system before I can feel myself again. Although I do have a hx with anxiety I feel the diet pill exacerbated my anxiety
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
effect of Phenteramine would have worn off by now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, effect of Phenteramine would have worn off by now. But as you rightly say it seems to have triggered your natural tendency towards anxiety.
Do take ativan prescribed by your doctor under his supervision for a short while.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Geeta Sundar