What causes anxiety while on Clonidine?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I AM TAKING .05 MG OF CLONIDINE AT NIGHT TO CONTROL MY MORNING BP IT IS DOING THE JOB BUT I AM ANXIOUS IN THE AM AND WAKE UP SUDDENLY EXACTLY 3 HRS AFTER TAKING THE DOSE. I AM ALSO TAKING 80 MG OF DIOVAN AND TAPERING VALIUM FROM 5MG DAILY NOE DOWN TO 2MG. CAN I JUST STOP THE CLONIDINE OR DO I NEED TO TAPER .05 AND HOW
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need for tapering Clonidin

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

You can stop the Clonidine if you are sure that your complaint really caused by Clonidine. It can be caused from tapering Valium, but if you are sure, you can stop the Clonidine. You need to monitor your blood pressure meanwhile. If your blood pressure increases after stopping the Clonidine, then there will be a need to add another medication or increase the dose of Diovan.

Come back if you have any further questions