What causes anxiety and mood swings after taking Triumeq?
I didn't notice anything the first couple of nights, but last night I became very speedy, panicked, with chest tightness, dizziness, and a very mentally altered. I felt I was close to vomiting most of the evening. I was convinced I was dying and had to take 4 times more Klonopin in order to make it bearable. I did some research and I found that these are not common side effects but that some HIV positive people have had similar experiences.
It was extremely unsettling. I still have several doses of Atripla...do you think jumping back to Atripla is a safe idea, even for a night or two? I expect it might fade in time but right now I don't see much benefit in enduring the side effects. I haven't noticed any difference in mood or anxiety since stopping the Atripla, but I am ready that the NNRTI's it uses is rougher on the kidneys than Triumeq. What are your thoughts?
If you have problems with Efavirenz than switch to Triumeq is better option
Welcome to HCM.
You are taking tab Atripla which is the combination of Efavirenz, Emtricitabine and Tenofovir since last 10 years. Currently, you are facing mood or anxiety problems, nausea and vomiting, chest tightness, dizziness, very panicky, sleep disturbances, mentally altered etc which all are long term uncommon side effects of Efavirenz.
My advice is to stop Efavirenz and switch over to Triumaq as suggested by your doctor now and no need to jump back to Atripla if the problems are making you very unsettling. The above symptoms are not usual but may occur in some patients; so don't worry much and take your medicines as suggested by your doctor.
My doctor tested me for the allergic marker before switching me over to Triumeq and I tested negative. Still, these symptoms I had on Triumeq were very bad. Last night I took Atripla instead because I did not want two consecutive nights of missing sleep and feeling awful.
You can go for other combination of drug as per your doctor's advice.
You can continue with Atripla if the symptoms are not so disturbing otherwise go for any other drug which doesn't contain either Efavirenz or Abacavir as both causing mental problems in late period. So don't worry and move ahead in life.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes anxiety and mood swings
- What causes anxiety attacks
- What causes anxiety after kidney dialysis
- What causes anxiety disorder
- What causes troubled sleep and anxiety after taking methylprednisolone
- Could orsythia be causing anxiety fatigue and mood swings
- What causes anxiety and stomach tightness after taking crack
- What causes severe anxiety
- What is the cause of anxiety after taking water pill
- What causes depression and anxiety
- Do persistent dry cough after unprotected sex suggest HIV infection?
- What does my HIV rapid test report indicate?
- What are the chances of contracting HIV after having unprotected sex?
- Is the HIV DUO 4th generation test conclusive at 32 days post exposure?
- Is 4th generation chemiluminescence test for HIV conclusive at 28 days?
- Can HIV spread by using the medical scissors and tweezers?
- Is it possible for HIV RNA test not to detect virus if the viral load is...
- What are the risks of HIV when in contact with dry blood?
- Are negative HIV RNA test and third generation antibody test within...
- What are the chances of HIV transmission through protected sex?