What causes anxiety and depression while on heart medication?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: my father had a massive heart attack on April 29 2014 in Los Angeles He had 2 stints and takes a lot of meds now. I live in Canada and visited him just before it happened and he was his usual charming self. I am back to visit now and he is very anxious and has even mentioned suicide twice today! He almost punched me today and I had to get a police officer to help. Could it be his meds?by the way, I spoke with his cardiologist, and he said that he thought my dad might have early signs of dementia. I spent 10 days with him in April prior to his heart attack, and he wasn't like this. His cardiologist had not met him before the heat attack, so he doesn't know what he is like usually. He was the way he has always been. My mom had back surgery last week (the reason for my return trip) and I insisted on driving them home because my dad was so aggravated. That is when he blew up. The police officer convinced him to ride in the back seat and he curse me and punched the door repeatedly during the trip. I was scared and worried. I have never seen him like this. I don't know what to do!
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
probably not drug interaction.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I would like to answer your query.
Looking at the history and recent symtpoms I need to ask you a few more questions.
1. There are so many medications in the list. Was any medication recently added. If added. Why?
Difficult to assess multiple interactions based on drugs, based on new medication, we can try
2. Any memory loss? Since you live away, you need to ask your mom or caretaker
3. Is he depressed? Any recent health or emotional problems?
4. Is his medications or living conditions affecting him. Was the episode with police an emotional let off?

Based on a single episode, it is difficult to quantify. Dementia and depression are completely different and suicidal tendencies point more towards depression and might require counseling and further medication.
I
do not think there is drug interactions, as it would be continuous. If you provide me with more details, I will try to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 6 hours later
thank you for your note. The depression and anger/rage has started since his heart attack, on April 29. He had a very minor heart attack 5 years ago, and had 3 stints and was put on Crestor. He was emotionally fine before the most recent attack. I believe most of the meds he is on now are new to him. when he had this attack, his former cardiologist had taken him off of most of his meds. since the onset of his mental issues was sudden, and immediately following his discharge with the new meds, I suspect it is med related. He behaves as if he is constantly agitated. like he wants to crawl out of his skin - if that makes any sense to you. he seems to have lost control of his anger emotions. are any of the meds he is on known to cause depression or other psychological issues? please let me know - thanks - XXXXXXX

ps: he is behaving like a crazy person - at times a raving lunatic! that was when I called for security to subdue him

by the way, my parents have been happily married for 51 years. they live in paradise (central coast California), have a very comfortable lifestyle, some might even say wealthy. He usually has a very sharp memory, and still did, in April of this year when I came to visit last. The reason I thought it was meds, is that is the only thing that changed, and life is wonderful other than that
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not drug related. Mostly stress induced

Detailed Answer:
After going through the medication in detail, I could not find a single drug, which can cause these adverse effects.
Interactions could complicate and is difficult to predict. However few things which I can comment as a possibility are:
1. Multiple drugs or polypharmacy, when forced on the elderly, they react in different ways like the kids.
2. Give him some space and lenience and try to avoid restrictions.
3. There are too many medications. Discuss with your doctor for essential ones. Elderly as I have seen when taking too many usually miss the essential ones.
4. Stress of recent attack is present. He requires full family support. Encouragement is necessary. Furthermore counseling might be required at family or professional level.

I am not thinking of medications because
1. No drugs directly known to affect nervous system in the list.
2. It is not continuous mania, and it is episodic.
3.these are all commonly used drugs.

Hope it helps.
If you require any further clarifications, do ask. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Prakash HM