What causes anxiety after getting a numbing shot at the dentist?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
Why does my anxiety flare up after the dentist gives my the numbing shot? Can something else be used so I dont have a fear of that anxiety to get the dental work done?
6 days ago in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The anxiety is worsening due to anxiety of injection most probably

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

In dental shots lignocaine local injections are given. These doesn't increase anxiety. The worsening anxiety in your case is probably due anxiety of injection. You can take Alprazolam 0.25 prior to your procedure to calm you. Or you can request for lignocaine jelly which will provide some local anaesthesia but that will not help in more painful procedures.

Thanks and take care