What causes anosmia and an anesthesia like taste in the mouth?

Neurologist
Question
I am 50 years old, I take blood pressure medicine but it is controlled well. I am over weight 5'9" 300 lbs. I also chew tobacco which I know is bad.
About 2 months ago, I started to lose my sense of smell, and I have a very acidic taste in my mouth most of the time. I can only describe the taste as similar to anesthesia when you are injected to have surgery, just before going under. What could be causing this bad taste in my mouth?
Thanks,

Thu, 24 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the question and understand your concern.
Taste and smell changes may be due to vitamin deficiency.
You should get vitamin B 12 levels done.
Examination by a neurologist is required to look for any possibility of nerve root compression and need for brain imaging.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist