What causes ankle swelling while on Asomex?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a patient with hyper tension. I am directed to use Tab metosarton25 twice daily. My revisit to
the doctor after 6 months, the BP was found high on checking . The Doctor added Asomex 5MG for
continuation altogether & to come after 15 days. When consulted again, the BP came down to 180/90.
The Doctor (MD- GM) further added Asomex 2.5MG along with previous medicines and in use for 25 days
The side effect as of Ankle & foot swelling is being seen. I will be visiting the Doctor with in a day or two.
I have come to know that this sort of symptoms may occur on using Asomex Tabs. Please advice as to
whether asomex 2.5 MG has to be stopped .
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....you may need to change the medicine
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
ASOMEX ( AMLODIPINE ) is a calcium channel blocker ( CCB ) and ankle swelling is the most common problem encountered when CCB's are used to treat hypertension.
There are number of strategies which can be used to tackle ankle swelling like adding a diuretic,changing the dose of CCB or changing the drug.
Best strategy,however is to stop the CCB and switch to another anti hypertensive agent.
Please consult your doctor and seek his opinion and get changed the prescription.Don't stop any medicine of your own.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks