• question-icon

What causes ankle edema after stopping Hydrochlorothiazide?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been taking 1 hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg tab before breakfast and then 1 potassium cl er 10 meq after breakfast along with my Parkinson's drugs and newly added vesicare 5mg tab for urinary incontinence, but a physical therapist ran a search and said that taking vesicare and potassium creates problems. My doctor agreed. The problem is that my ankles have swollen significantly without the hydrocloro..(water pill).

Just wondering if the negative interaction could be avoided by my taking the vesicare after lunch or dinner instead of breakfast.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
interaction with solid potassium and vesicare

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are a number of different drug interactions checkers eg medscape drug interaction checker which would be most used by medical professionals and drugs.com checker which can be used by patients or doctors.

These are a few.

It states that the use of the potassium in solid form (tablet form) along with the vesicare may irritate the stomach. The vesicare may increase the potential irritant effects of the solid potassium supplements.

Hydrochlorothiazide decreases potassium levels and potassium supplements would obviously increase levels, this is the main interaction between these agents.
Levels (of potassium ) would need to be monitored.

Since there is an interaction between solid potassium and vesicare , a liquid supplement can be used instead.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James