What causes anencephaly during pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor, I had a abortion after 3 months of pregnancy due to Anencephaly . Now my question is what could be the reason for that. And how many months i need to wait for next pregnancy. Note: age is 22 years, weight 60kg and we are not relatives
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folic acid deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Anencephaly is a neural tube defect, and it occurs in folic acid deficiency.
It can be nutritional, due to diabetes or due to intake of anticonvulsant drugs.
You should get your sugars fasting and post prandial levels done, and take folic acid supplementation 5 mg a day , starting from 3 months prior to planning conception and continue it in first trimester.
It is ideal to wait for at least 6 months after abortion for planning next conception.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad