What causes anemia?
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
You are wondering what causes anemia. The most common cause of anemia is from long term blood loss. This can be from ulcers or other GI causes of blood loss. This will manifest as an iron deficiency anemia. the treatment is first find the source of bleeding and stop it. Then start iron replacement therapy. Another cause is nutritional deficits like vitamin b 12 and folate deficiencies. They may just require oral replacement or weekly injections of vitamin b 12. Another cause is loss of production of red blood cells from either fibrosis in the bone marrow or failure of the bone marrow to make blood. Then there are types of leukemia that overgrows the bone marrow reducing the number of red blood cells produced.
This is a quick over view of the causes of anemia. I hope I answered your question. Please contact again if you have any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes anemia and tremors
- Herniated discs cause anemia
- What does anemia cause
- What causes anemia and high sed rate
- What causes blood loss anemia
- Causes for anemia
- What causes tiredness and dizziness with history of anemia
- What causes severe anemia
- What is imuran what has caused hemolytic anemia
- What causes pernicious anemia
- Suggest treatment for bone cancer
- What causes dry mouth and white patch on tongue?
- What causes burning sensation and pain in elbow joint and hip joint?
- Suggest treatment for skin rashes
- What are side effects of Metanx?
- What does a brown spot on arm indicate?
- What causes hair growth on heel?
- Suggest treatment for itchy, painful and swollen legs
- Suggest treatment for hemiplegic migraines
- What causes itching and pain in feet at night while sleeping?