What causes anal itching, severe diarrhea, itchy eyes and blood in stool?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Since the end of 2015 I have had a series of conditions that has led to some increased problems the last 5 days. Last December I had lower back problems which turned out to be a herniated disc, then in January this year I had a fever and 6 days of very bad diarreah, ever since then I have had an itchy Anus and burning accompanied by itchy eyes and cold sores. I have tried literally everything to cure the problems in my anus and nothing has worked. Through this whole period since January I have had slightly different bowel movements, they have been more slimey. About two weeks ago I had a bad rash in my groin. In the last 5 days I have once again had a very bad bout of diarreah - I can't hold food down, some days going to the toilet over 10 times, I'm having bad stomach cramps. Also in the last two weeks I've been suffering with joint pain in my left shoulder and left arm, it is a dull pain and very frustrating. My dad and my grandfather on my mothers side have both had bowel cancer. I've had no blood in my stools that I know of. The itching in my Anus and eyes still exist.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cancer of bowel has to ruled out first

Detailed Answer:
Hey, Sir.

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your query in detail.

As per clinical history, significant colonic pathology( infection vs malignancy)has to be ruled out first.

For this I advise you to get a complete stool examination for ova, parasites, cysts and Occult blood.

Before proceeding to colonoscopy, a short course of antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole for 14 days has to be taken under your physician's prescription.

Itching in anus can be due to associated parasitic infection.Antiparasitic drug agents like Albendazole will help.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these pills to you.

Once the infection settles down, A colonoscopy can be planned to rule out cancer of large bowel.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj