• question-icon

What causes anal cramp with bleeding?

Posted on Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I started feeling sick yesterday and had a nap. When i woke up, i had anal cramps and bleeding for about an hour. Bleeding was very litttle and has stopped.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. Bleeding from the anus could be due to several reasons, in order to come to a better conclusion I will need a little more information. 1. Does it pain when passing passing stools? 2. Do you have difficulty ( constipation) in passing of stools? 3. Was the blood bright red or dark red in color? 4. Please mention the medications you are on ( if anY) 5. Has this occurred before? Please get back to me. I am awaiting your reply, Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 27 minutes later
1. No pain. I feel like my BMs ate 1/4 of regular volume 2. No constipation. 3. Bright red, just a little on the toilet paper. 4. Im on: Prozac, Clonazapam, thyroid, testosterone cream, progesterone both cream and pill, Vit D 4000 iu, omega 3, DHEA, cortef 20 mg cut up throughout the day oh and i have NAFLD. 5. Nothing like this has happened to me before. The bleeding has stopped - i just feel bloated, like i should be going to the bathroom.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Upper Gastro intestinal bleed Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the quick reply From the history you have given and the fact that there was very minimal bleed associated with bloating of the stomach I think the bleeding could be due to a small duodenal ulcer. It is a common side effect of being on cortef Here are my suggestions 1. Tab Pantoprazole to be taken twice daily before food 2. Avoid spicy food 3. Eat smaller meals several times a day 4. Drink Atleast 5 glasses of water a day If the bleeding persists please approach a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy to confirm the diagnoses I hope I was of help Regards
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
I looked ip pantoprazole and it appears to be a perscription drug. Am i correct?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply Here in our state it is an over the counter drug. I am not sure about yours but it should be an OTC drug as it is very safe to consume the drug and it has a good safety profile. Please find out from the pharmacy. I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I just got back from the hospital regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist