What causes an unusual black spot on the toenail?
Kindly upload images
Hello. Thank you
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.
Also let me know, since how long it is present?
Possibility of subungual hematoma
Thank you. I have viewed the image.
It is most likely a subungual hematoma. It is not a melanoma as it lies away from the nail folds.
Since how long have you noticed it? Is there a history of trauma?or vigorous activity?
Has it changed or drifted distally since you noticed it first?
Just observe it for 1-2 months
Just observe it for 1-2 months. If it moves distally it is most certainly a hematoma. Subungual melanoma usually presents as a band along the nail rather than a an isolated spot in the nail bed. It usially has a communication with the nail fold because active melanocytes are only present in the nail fold and nail matrix, not in the nail bed.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What std causes brown spots under toenail
- What causes brittle and crumbly toenails are
- What causes bleeding under toenails
- What causes soft toenails
- What causes toenail fungus
- What causes black toenails
- What causes ski jump toenails
- Black toenails causes symptoms treatment
- Black under toenail causes
- What causes unexplained brusing on toenails
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body