question-icon

What causes an oval shaped lump on the tonsil?

Posted on Wed, 23 Nov 2016
Question: I attached a picture of the inside of my mouth/throat. I found an oval shaped nodule past my left tonsil. The top is white, the bottom is normal color. Not sure how long its been there. I noticed it perhaps a week ago. It seems to be an integral part of the throat with capillaries in and out of it. It doesn't cause any complaints whatsoever. I don't have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck. Does this warrant further investigation?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No need to investigate further

Detailed Answer:
Hello

From the looks of it , it looks like a blocked gland either minor salivary or a mucus gland. And because of the blockage the gland has swollen up a bit.

You dont have any symptoms and no neck nodes, so i dont think you need to investigate further as most of the time it will automatically rupture and resolve.

You can gargle with warm salt water 2 times a day as it will prevent any secondary infection from setting in.

Apart from this you do not need any other medications or treatment.

Please dont worry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist