What causes an itchy red scrotum after having an unprotected oral sex?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi,
I had unprotected oral sex about two weeks ago.
No history of STDs. Healthy 30 year old male. Otherwise safe sex only.
The next day I had a red and itchy scrotum, I thought perhaps from saliva irritating it. I washed and it improved, then applied anti-fungal cream and within 2-3 days it was completely gone.
I have since noticed a very small red lesion on my penis, near the head. It is not itchy, I originally thought it was from friction/teeth but it has been quite slow to heal. I think I first noticed it the next day, but it could have been one day later. It appears to be healing now and is getting smaller and less red.
I was wondering if it could be a herpes lesion. From the pictures I have seen on the internet I don't think so, but I have read that some people have very mild initial outbreaks and dont experience many if any symptoms after this. I can upload a photo if you could have a look and see if it appears to be a herpes lesion?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not likely herpes

Detailed Answer:
This does not look or sound like herpes. Herpes lesions can be mild but usually initial outbreaks are severe. Herpes lesions start out as bumps that turn to blisters that then turn to ulcers. They are painful lesions. There is nothing about this that sounds like herpes, so I think you are safe on that front.
If you are concerned about STDs then It would be good to go to a clinic or your doctor and get tested to make sure that you have not contracted any STDs. Some are urine tests and some are blood tests. Better to be safe and know that you are not having any infection.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson