What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a rash around my anus and it is red and itches
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely allergic or fungal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query

Most commonly moisture from sweat cause itching and rashes.Anal area is very prone to fungal infection. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.Infections such as pinworms, yeast, and genital warts can cause itching with rashes.
However it can be allergic also,The skin around your anus may be sensitive to anything that comes in contact with it such as toilet paper, underwear washed with certain detergents or skin that has too much moisture.
Allergic rashes can also cause anal itching and/or irritation.
Pinworm and yeast infections can also be a cause of anal irritation and itching.

Tests
Stool microscopic investigation.
Please attach a clear high resolution pic of rash.

Advice
Take antiallergic like Allegra 120mg once daily.
Use Clotrimazole topical preparations(over the counter) twice daily.
Keep anal area dry,Use antifungal powder.

Follow up with picture of rash.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng