• question-icon

What causes an itchy red patch on the lower leg?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My husband has been suffering with a problem in his right lower leg. It started out as an itch last summer and a red patch started. When he took a shower the warm/hot water would make him jump and itch. His family doctor has done several thing: took blood several times and his blood would get thick and sometimes could not be drawn. He also has had pain in his heel and up the lower part of the leg. The doctor gave him tacrolimus ointment to help keep the red area from drying out. Sometimes after a a blood draw he would be better for a few weeks and then the problem returns. Other tests taken include neurology, with a test for lyme disease, an ultra sound for blood clots and a biopsy. All of these were negative. Any ideas, as his doctor is stumped now.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It could be due to an autoimmune condition. I would request you to upload image of the affected areas. It will help me to evaluate the condition. Taking some antiallergic like cetirizine or benadryl (or possibly better ones like fexofenadine or loratidine which are prescription medicines) should help. You also should apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

I would await your response based on which I will guide you further. Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha