• question-icon

What causes an itchy rash on the thumb after a bee sting?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Bee sting reaction: shivering, swelling
YYYY@YYYY

Stung on thumb by bee. Breaking out in itchy rash. Shivering. Had reaction to unknown sting 2 ? years ago.

can I take more benadryl? don,t want to sit in emergency 2 hours waiting for a shot like last time.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go for I/M Shots ASAP.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
In bee sting with local reaction and spreading systemic reaction ( as evidenced by shivering), It is better to take a shot of steroids along with anti allergic and anti histaminic. Just oral medicines are insufficient , esp if you are sensitive to it .
Also let me know if you are developing any symptoms like breathing problems, or increasing rashes. If such is the case then please take shots urgently.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon