• question-icon

What causes an itchy rash on the body after taking Effexor?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have gotten a bad reaction to upping my dose of effexor as prescribed by my psychiatrist. I was previously taking 75 mg, but he suggested I take an additional 37.5 because I am depressed from having pancreatic cancer. Two days after I took the additional dose I have broken out in XXXXXXX widespread itchy rash. I went to the doctor and she said to take on 10mg of zyrtec during the day and 50 mg of benedryl before bed. Is there anything else to relieve this horrible rash and should I just take 37.5 mg of effexor tomorrow? I cannot reach my psychiatrist at present.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

It is possible that you are having an allergic reaction to Effexor. I would stop taking it until you can contact your psychiatrist.

The dose is very low and should not result in withdrawal. You should be fine.

Take the antihistamines as instructed for the rash, this should be sufficient.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist