What causes an inflamed lymph node under the jaw?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I've have an abscess in my lower tooth near the wisdom tooth.

This has caused swelling and pain in my lymph node by my Lower jaw.

However I have noticed that after drinking alcohol I get more pain particularly the day after where I feel a stinging sensation also.

I'm scared this could indicate lymphoma?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like reactive lymphnode.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

From your description I would not worry about lymphima. This because :
- The swollen lymphnodes from lymphoma are not painful.
- They are generally more then one and in packages, so it is rare to be just one or two.
- There is a visible site of inflammation which would justify the swollen lymphnode.

If these reasons still do not convince you, then you can consider doing a complete blood count test, and put your mind at peace. Or, an ultrasound of the lymphnode would certainly identify it as a reactive (from inflamation) lymohnode or as something which needs more investigation.
But again, I would not worry, because it doesn't seem like a lymphoma lymphnode.

Hope this makes sense and reassurres you.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D