What causes an excrutiating pain after hip replacement procedure?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Since I fractured my hip and had a replacement I have not been able to walk on cement with out pain? Have had hips xrayed and next is a visit to a doctor to have my varicose veins checked. My primary doc says it might be might back which has several crushed discs but has not given me any pain like sciatic nerve pain for several years.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You require a MRI scan of lumbar spine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

It is true that crushed discs in the lower back is an underlying problem which is contributing to your pain, and your primary doctor might be right.

When there is disc degeneration, there is herniation of discs in to the spinal canal and the nerves get pinched leading to pain.

Therefore, when you visit your doctor for varicose veins it is recommended that you discuss the requirement of doing a MRI scan of lumbar spine to know in detail about any disc problems which you have. If your MRI scan lumbar spine shows pinched nerves, then you can discuss any medicines which can help decrease your pain.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj