What causes an episode of numbness in the left arm and violent shaking of the body?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a 70 yr old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX with Type II diabetes and peripheral neuropathy. I am 5'10", 203 lbs. I just had an episode, my left arm suddenly went totally numb and start shaking violently? My diabetes is well controlled w/numbers in the 100 to 120 range. I have never had an episode like this before.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seizures to consider at first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns,

Peripheral neuropathy or damage of peripheral nerves may result in twitching or slight shaking of extremities, but not as a violent shaking.

Seizures (sp. partial simple ones) that don't affect consciousness may be a possible explanation that needs to be addressed further.

Getting evaluated by a Neurologist and by some investigations (EEG, brain MRI ) are necessary steps to understand your condition better.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee