What causes an episode of increased heart rate and blood pressure?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Today I had similar incident as before increase heart rate but this time an increase in blood pressure too. I am just getting better now. After I ate spicy food I did feel my whole body getting warm and having headache as well.

Later on I had the incident took a tablet under tongue with ice in chest and I got better faster than last time.

Advice me and my sugar the last few days under control.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to anxiety.

Besides a single isolated episode of increased heart rate and blood pressure do not indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure or cardiac arrhythmia.

They can be explained by physical or emotional stress.

Nevertheless, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG would give more information on your heart rhythm trends and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia
- complete blood count for anemia
- fasting glucose
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- kidney and liver function tests.

I would also recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values in the next days, frequently during the day in sitting position.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 minutes later
I have done all of this twice and so far all results were good. I might agree but today I had no stress or feeling depressed but two days ago I was does that mean it is still related.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, it could be related to a stressful situation.

Anyway, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure in the next week, usually in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax, and also your heart rate. It is important to write all these values in a notebook.

If your blood pressure values and heart rate are within the normal ranges most of the time, there is no reason to worry about! There is no need for any additional tests or treatment.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri