What causes an enlarged prostate?

Posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: pain in prostate (maybe bladder) when XXXXXXX slightly. first noticed 3 days ago after strong jar while riding tractor? no pain while urinating. I have enlarged prostate. white male aged 80, general health good.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Prostatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in perineum and known to have Enlarged Prostate .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have obstructive voiding symptoms like frequency ,urgency ,nocturia commonly associated with enlarged prostate ?
2) Are you taking an medication for Enlarged prostate ?

The pain in perineal area could be due to superadded infection of prostate and needs to be investigated .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Cefotaxime twice daily and Tomsulosin once daily .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist