What causes an enlarged liver?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Ayurveda
Question: I am a diabatic for the last 14 years. daily I walk 10km. In the recent reports it has shown that LIVER MILD Enlargement .
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need further details

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and since the case history is too short to understand, do let me know about following parametres for better understanding and management of disease:

1. Since it is the recent report which suggest liver disease as a consequence of diabetes mellitus so do let me know whether
- diabetes occurred as a complication of liver disease or
- is liver disease occurred coincidentally with diabetes?

2. Since the condition is from last 14 years, thus do let me know about your present sugar level [ blood and urine sugar]?

3. were you earlier taking any oral diabetic drugs [oral hypoglycemic agents] since it is SUGGESTED in Medication Section

4. although there is rare association of diabetic drugs and liver injury, but some may cause cholestatic hepatitis [so please check with a diabetologist] before using any prescription medicine.

5. Your dietary regime & lifestyle management [apart from walking]?

6. mild liver enlargement could be an underlying cause of some other disease [heart disease] and since diabetes is related with carbohydrate metabolism which is deranged/disturbed in liver thus could probably be non-alcoholic fatty liver.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj