What causes an elevated heart rate and dizziness?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, My daughter just had a heart raise in her shower and felt dizzy... She's still shaking a little after she's out of the shower. I check her blood pressure is 130/90 heart beat 80, 127/85 H 75. This is the 2nd time she experienced that. First time was after she took the anti-biotic, we thought was the medicine ... Pls advice, Thank you
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reaction of heart to low blood pressure she might have experienced

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation your daughter is going through.

Increased heart rate while having a shower is a reaction to low blood pressure (BP) she might have experienced.

This is especially true if she:
- uses hot water to shower
- had shower immediately after eating

as that will cause skin (peripheral) blood vessels dilatation, resulting in low bp. Her heart has to increase rate in order to increase no up to normal range again.

As this has been repeated twice, a cardiac check up is advised to exclude heart abnormalities like those related to valves. Tests include EKG, echocardiogram, holter monitoring.

Hope this helps.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 minutes later
Thank you,
Brief Answer:
Happy to be assisting you....

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome.

If no more questions, please close this discussion.

All the best.
Dr.Albana