What causes an elevated HCG level without pregnancy, and pain and cyst in the ovaries a month after a medical abortion?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: hi dr, i have a few questions. I had a medical abortion on XXXXXXX 25 I had lots of bleeding and then a week later again another 4 days of bleeding. when the bleeding stop we had sex with my husband a week later went to the emergency room with a lot of pain in my ovaries they found 3 cyst two of them measuring 1.7 and one 4.7 cm my hcg levels were at 444 but with no sign of a pregnancy. what does this all mean
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be gestational trophoblastic disease.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.

Beta hCG levels should come to non pregnant range 2 weeks after the medical or surgical abortion.

If it is more than 35 even after 2 weeks of abortion, then it can be due to gestational trophoblastic disease.

In this, there is no obvious Pregnancy, but the some pregnancy elements like trophoblastic cells remain in the uterus.

It can lead to irregular bleeding, raised hCG levels, cysts in the ovaries etc.

Treatment is by medications like Methotrexate and sometimes further treatment may also be required.

I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper examination, investigations and treatment accordingly.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T