What causes an ascending aortic aneurysm?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Should I be concerned with an ascending aortic aneurysym of 4.4 cm along with an aortic root diameter of 4.1cm? Tricuspid valve:mild regurg. and pulmonary artery pressures of 35 to itation0 mmhg? Left ventricle mild concentric left left ventricular hypertrophy with grade 1LV diastolic dysfunction (abnormal relaxation pattern, no wall abnormalities? mitral valve, aortic valve and tricuspid valve all have mild regurgitation. Ejection fraction of 65%. Mildly thickened mitral and aortic valve. Mitral E point velocity 102 cm and Mitral A point velocity of 111cm,E to A ratio is .92. Both aneuwerysyms increased 1 to 2.5 cm from a year ago. I am 65 and been getting tested for the last 3 years after being in hospital with misdiagnosed pericarditis for 6 months. My doctor says don't lift anything too heavy and see you next year. Blood sugar and cholesterol are ok. I am 5 ft 10 in. and 182 lbs. Looking for a second opinion as I am getting nervous about my cardiac situation. Can you answer me with some advice as to weather I should be worried or just live life as normal? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Sorry,
Pulmonary artery pressures are 35 to 40 mmhg. Also I am on 120 mg of Diovan per day for blood pressure that is usually about 128/80 with medication. I do about 10 to 15 flights of stairs daily, elliptical 20 to 30 minutes three times per week as well as a little bit of walking or bike riding sometimes. Hope this information helps. Thank you! XXXXXXX
With the above information should I plan on a normal lifespan of about 83 yrs. old or something less and about how much less?
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should follow healthy lifestyle

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

There are small changes on your echo report, which usually don't cause symptoms. If you control your blood pressure and follow healthy lifestyle most probably there will be no worsening.
If you have no worsening in one year echo, it is very good and the prognosis is also good concerning life expectancy.
About heavy weights. It is quite individual. It is a weight, which you are not used to lift. For one it can be 5kg, and for another 10kg. It depends on your daily activities.
Actually you do everything correctly, go ahead and everything will be ok.

Hope I could help you

Wishing you good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
what about the abnormalities?
what about the aneurysyms?
What about the pulmonary artery pressures of 35 t0 40?
Thank you for your reply, but I was hoping you could address those issues. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

1. High blood pressure over the years can lead to enlarged aorta and aneurysm. Aneurysm is considered when we have aortic diameter more than 5.0 cm. In your case it is not aneurysm yet and has low risk of dissection. If you control your blood pressure, there are good chances that the enlargement will not progress to aneurysm. So the prognosis will be favorable.
2. Pulmonary artery pressure 35 and 40 indicated mild pulmonary hypertension, which cab be seen among patients with arterial hypertension in your age, and is not dangerous but need a follow up, if there will be no progress in a year, there is nothing to be concerned.

Hope this was of help

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 7 hours later
Could you please explain this condition and should I be concerned about it? Left ventricle mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy with grade 1LV diastolic dysfunction (abnormal relaxation pattern, no wall abnormalities?
Also, what should my physical restrictions be at this time? How much weight is safe for me to lift/carry? How are the mitral E to A velocity numbers and the E to A ratio look? I think that this should be the last time that I will to bother you.
Thank you! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Diastolic dysfunction and concentric hypertrophy are consequences of arterial hypertension. Grade 1 diastolic dysfunction and mild hypertrophy are not serious abnormalities and are quite common findings among majority of patients with arterial hypertension.
Normal E/A ration in your age is equal or more than 1.
About lifting weights: it is quite subjective․ It highly depends on individuals physical capability and what a person is used to do in his/her daily life. Physical activity and weights, which are mild or moderate for you, are OK, you can continue. Weights, which are quite heavy for you, are not encouraged.

Wishing you good health

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 59 minutes later
Will arterial hypertension of say 40mmhg shorten your life, and if so, by how much? I know there is no exact answer to this, just asking for an educated guess based on your experience. Also is the abnormal relaxation pattern anything to be concerned about?

Thank you, looking forward to this last bit of information.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

If you control your hypertension, the probability of it's severe complications will be low. So you will have good life expectancy. I have patients who life quite long with controlled arterial hypertension.

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist