What causes an aggravated knot in the shoulder upon exertion?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: Hello,

I am a triathlete and I have developed a knot on top of my shoulder where the clacvical goes into the shoulder. It becomes aggravated when I lift weights which was recently added again to my training schedule. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably bursitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/54 - triathlete - developed a knot on the top of shoulder - where the clavicle goes into the shoulder - aggravating on lifting weight which was added again to training schedule...

As per the history you have provided this looks to be bursitis.
I would advise you the following in such a situation.
Stop the weight lifting training for the time being till you are fully diagnosed and treated.
Take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen.
Consult an Orthopedic Surgeon for a clinical evaluation, an actual examination and getting an MRI of the area to know the exact cause and proper treatment under the guidance of your Orthopedic Surgeon.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.