What causes an abnormal feeling of thrill in neck when straining?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello.
I am wondering if i have an abnormality.
When i strain, i can feel a distinct " thrill" in my neck just above ny collar bone. I have also had a intermittant hoarse XXXXXXX for about 3 weeks.
I am very worried
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
you might need to do carotid doppler study

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
On straining it exerts pressure on abdominal cavity and raises pressure in thorax thus increasing pressure on heart.
So increase in pressure in neck can be sometimes seen in excessive straining but thrill won't be felt.
I feel you should do a carotid doppler scan of neck to see any abnormalities in the arteries and veins of neck.
Hoarsness of voice can have multiple reasons.
Is it constantly there since 3 weeks or is it on and off? Like comes and goes suddenly.
Do you have swelling in neck in thyroid region?
Any difficulty in swallowing?
Any associated fever?
Do you have any sore throat or infection?
Kindly answer me above questions so I can get more information about your problem.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 13 minutes later
Hi.
The hoarse voice comes and goes. Its not always there. Indont have a fever or any lumps in my throat, but i do have a mild pain in the side of my neck whcih also comes and goes.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a doppler carotid and ultrasound neck for thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for following up with me.
Ok. I feel it could be something related to thyroid only.
And for thrill we need to do doppler study of the carotid.
So kindly get done doppler study and also ultrasound of neck to rule out any localised mass effect in neck causing hoarsness of voice.
Get back with me with the reports and I will guide you further or consult your physician with the same.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you