What causes amonia odor in sweat?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: MY SON WORKS OUTSIDE, HE SWEATS SO BAD HIS CLOTHES ARE WET . AND THEY ARE WHITE, AND HE SMELLS LIKE AM0NIA.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to get too worried!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

There is no reason to get worried about the amount of sweat and the odor of ammonia on your son's dresses. This is understandable as intense exercise would cause a huge amount of sweat production which is also a means of waste elimination. We never get these especially when we sweat in small quantities but huge volumes of sweat can actually be responsible for this.

White may represent the remains of salt that are left behind after evaporation. This is totally understandable given the huge volumes of sweat that he produces and salt is eliminated in sweat, this is the reason why our sweat is salty.

I will recommend that he drinks much water especially during exercise and also avoids hot weather conditions to avoid getting dehydrated or developing heat exhaustion.

I hope this helps. I wish your son well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.