What causes ammonia smelling stool in toddlers?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my daughter is 3 years old. She was treated for a UTI earlier this month with a cephalosporin. Upon recheck, her UTI did not clear up. She just started another course of the ceph. Her pediatrician believes she is constipated after examining her abdomen and suggested Miralax. She believes her bladder is not completely emptying due to the constipation. I started Miralax and my daughter is now having more frequent bowel movements but they have a strong ammonia smell. Her stools literally burn my nose and eyes. What is causing this terrible odor? Is it from the stool remaining in her bowel too long and it is fermenting? How long will it take for this smell to go away?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probiotics will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

Ammonia smelling stools can be attributed to bacterial overgrowth or nitrogen being insufficiently digested or improperly metabolized. When food is insufficiently digested, the non-absorbed food can then become food for harmful bacteria, or just putrefy, in the gut. Either of these leads to toxins being released in the body.

As your daughter is suffering from constipation and has received a long course of antibiotics, her gut's healthy flora seems to be altered. This is causing the offensive smell. So, I would recommend you to start her on a probiotic such as enterogermina twice daily for next 10 days. This will help in restoration of healthy gut flora. The smell will go of in a few days there after. Also, keep her well hydrated by regular feeds and plenty of fluids. Fluids will help in both constipation and Urinary tract infection.

Hopefully this will help you.