What causes altered sense of smell?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi
And Thank you !!!
I feel that smell of burn or some kind of chemical ,all moust as burn flash .
How I can help myself?
Thanks again
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Listed most common causes for such a presentation, pls consult ENT doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. To be XXXXXXX not all cases of a burnt smell in the nose have been diagnosed with a cause, but let me list all the most likely causes in order of the occurrence:

1. Allergies (most common)
2. Sinus infections
3. Tumors
4. Neurological disorders (e.g. tumors in the brain, seizure disorder, etc.)
5. Olfactory nerve damage
and a few other less common causes.

I would recommend a visit to an ENT doctor for the initial evaluation, and if possible keep a neurologist also in the loop. Please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad